Supply Kit Items
For winter readiness, assemble a disaster supply kit for your home containing:
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Portable, battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio, AM / FM radio, and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- One-week supply of food (include items that do not require refrigeration or cooking in case of power loss)
- Nonelectric can opener
- Bottled water
- One-week supply of essential prescription medications
- Extra blankets and sleeping bags
- Fire extinguisher (A-B-C type)
Other Disaster Tips
Develop an emergency communications plan.
In case family members are separated from one another during a winter storm (a real possibility during the day when adults are at work and children are at school), have a plan for getting back together.
Ask an out-of-state relative or friend to serve as the family contact.
After a disaster, it's often easier to call long distance. Make sure all family members know the name, address, and phone number of the contact person.
Make sure all family members know how to respond after a severe winter storm.
Teach children how and when to call 9-1-1, police, or fire department and which radio station to tune to for emergency information.