When do I need a building permit?

A Building Permit is required for anything which is built or constructed with the following exceptions as listed in the 2018 IBC: 


1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the overall height is less than ten feet and the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (200 ft² for residential lots).* (Zoning Permit Required) 

2. Fences not over 6 feet (1829 mm) high. (Zoning Permit Required) 

3. Oil derricks. (Zoning Permit Required) 

4. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA liquids. 

5. Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 925 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1. 

6. Sidewalks that are internal to the property and do not connect to the public sidewalk or public right-of-way.* 

7. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work. 

8. Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery. 

9. Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 925 L) and are installed entirely above ground. 

10. Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems. 

11. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings. 

12. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Groups R-3 and U occupancies. 

13. Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753 mm) in height. 

*Amended by Section 105-42 of the City of Alliance Municipal Code. 


All electrical work shall be regulated, permitted, and inspected by the State of Nebraska Electrical Division.  You may contact them at electrical.nebraska.gov or (308) 631-1828.


1. Portable heating appliance. 

2. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe. 


1. Portable heating appliance. 

2. Portable ventilation equipment. 

3. Portable cooling unit. 

4. Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code. 

5. Replacement of any part that does not alter its approval or make it unsafe. 

6. Portable evaporative cooler. 

7. Self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 pounds (5 kg) or less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less. 


1. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe, provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drain pipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code. 

2. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

Show All Answers

1. What is the purpose of zoning?
2. What can I do if I receive a nuisance violation notice?
3. When do I need a building permit?
4. What type of work requires drawings?
5. What projects require an engineer or architects stamp on the drawings?
6. What is the difference between an architect and an engineer?
7. How does the City do inspections of permitted work?
8. What type of inspections are required?
9. If I wanted an inspection of a building before purchasing it, who would I contact to have that done?
10. Does the City require an inspection of an existing building before doing work to it?